As I thought about what was really calling to me a few days ago…two things came to mind I though I might include in this week’s post:
2. A closed sign (as in, I’m still on a working holiday and will be back next week!)
1. Consciousness…how conscious are we really?
I was asking myself this last question a lot during the holiday and I came to this conclusion. We’re as conscious as:
• Our last full, conscious breath.
• Our last most positive thought…about ourselves.
• The last time we asked ourselves “how did I contribute to this situation?”
• The last time we reflected, if even a couple minutes, on how something went or could have gone better (if meditating is out of your “I want to do” list, no problem…reflecting is a beautiful thing and the beginning of a rich meditation).
• The last time we consciously stopped talking so the other person (adult, child, client or family member) could have more time…
• The last time we consciously told ourselves our story/advice/time mattered and that taking up space is great and our voice ~ even better.
In watching tourists all over Croatia, these nuggets became reminders…I noticed how unconsciously we sometimes walk the world (and take others with us). And this is in all forms…business, vacation, just generally in life, our neighborhood etc.
I remember in yoga the first time my teacher/guru told us that it wasn’t a crime to bump into each other…that we didn’t have to say “sorry” (are we we really sorrow-filled?) every time we bumped into each other doing yoga. And she was right. However, I also believe there’s an acknowledgment of sorts that needs to happen with those around us…a hello, a recognition (“knowing smile” I think was made for this), a stop to talk for a couple minutes to show we’re connected.
THIS is my favorite part of travel…the connectedness and the learning from others, even if it’s just for those two minutes and “goodbye, have a nice life…I may never see you again.” The best travel, business and/or life are made up of these these moments and memories. I like to build them up…you?